Steve Cassidy, director of future mobility at ESP Group, has issued the following advice to help transport providers minimise that disruption:
1. Anticipate issues before they take hold – during the UK winter bad weather is almost guaranteed, ensure back up plans are in place such as alternative transport provision
2. Assign a working group to bad weather provision – a team that are on call and available to execute the bad weather plan
3. Ensure real time information (RTI) is accurate and available to passengers – this covers everything from train platform displays to apps and websites, social media channels and push messages to those who the provider knows will be affected – this needs to be multi-channel and passengers need to be able to find the information as easily as possible
4. Consider alternative ways to get the passengers from A to B – with flight cancellations can bus or train transport be arranged? Are there longer routes by road that will still get passengers to their final destination? Put the passenger first – what would be best for them?
5. Make decisions early and communicate as fast as possible – if passengers have early warning of issues they have more time to make alternative plans